DeployCentral

Application Package Question

cdonald2

Hello everyone,

Quick question for those who have been working on it.... I am attempting to make an application package out of an Office suite installer. We are successful in making and sending the package over to the client computer, and we can find the files located in the windows/temps/smartdeploy folder, but the software does not install. Has anyone run into a similar issue and if so, how did you work through it?

Hello cdonald2,

Depending on the version of Office you're trying to install, there is some additional work to automate the installation.

Here's a link to the Office 2016 Deployment tool documentation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool

In short, you'll want to have the installation parameters pre-set in a file and invoke that file as part of the installation.

I recommend testing this manually on a system before building it into an application pack.

Thanks for the reply.

I have my installation set to an unattended install and it is working properly outside of smartdeploy.

In my log I am getting an messaging saying that there was not a response received within the configured timeout. Would this be a network configuration that it is alluding to?

On a second look, this blog post has instructions for creating an MSP file which would automatically be applied when setup is run. It mentions MDT, however if you can create the MSP file and configure it per this blog, then you should be able to add the Visio install folder to an App Pack, in which setup would be run, detect this MSP file and install as configured.

https://web.sas.upenn.edu/jasonrw/2015/11/03/automate-the-install-of-microsoft-office-2016-with-an-msp-file/

:D! Thats actually the webpage I had originally used to set up my MSP.

I dont think its a problem with my MSP file. It is working properly. I've attached a screenshot of the error message I am receiving in smartdeploy, maybe this will jump some ideas.

installerror.jpg

So, for sake of my sanity, I pulled a new OFB computer, imaged, and checked that it can install pre-made app packs, and it was successful.

So to amend myself, I get this error message on all the app packs that we have tried to personally make.*

It appeared that the mps and the mps.xml file weren't in the Updates folder of the package they send. I confirmed that if they are, the /adminfile argument shouldn't  be needed.

I also discovered that I could not add the .mps.xml as an individual file to the Updates folder, getting an error about the path. I had to place the files into the Update folder, and then re-add the entire Visio installation folder back into the spk. (I have alerted the dev team to investigate this problem)