DeployCentral

Win10: Calculator & other apps missing

CTEK

Hi,
I have been deploying Windows 10 builds 1607 & 1703 to staff laptops successfully for a while now. Last week a staff member asked how he could get the calculator app to run. After checking and confirming that the problem is real I'm scratching my head as to why I'm see this.
Symptom: try and run calc.exe on a SD-deployed PC and you get the error message "You'll need a new app to open this calculator". On the original 1703 image, "Get-AppxPackage | measure" returns a count of 84; the same on the deployed PC returns a count of47. "Add-AppxPackage -register" throws an error of "Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80080205, The Appx package's block map is invalid."
Source VM runs in VMWare Workstation 12.5.5. SDE version is 2.0.2050. Hardware is Dell Latitude or Dell Precision with latest platform pack.
Any advice appreciated,
Thanks,

Hello,

We have seen this if the virtual machine was updating the Windows Store applications during the capture process. Try starting your virtual reference machine, running Windows Updates, then open the Windows Store and update all the applications there as well. You may have to restart a couple of times and keep updating until all updates are complete.

Then capture/deploy and let us know your results.

Thanks,

SmartDeploy Support

No joy sorry: I took the base VM, updated it, logged in using a different admin account, updated all the Store apps, re-captured and re-deployed - same issue, and same count for "Get-AppxPackage | measure" (47).
Any other suggestions?

• 2 months later...

This is still hurting, and I can't deploy any fully-functional Win10 machines at the mo. I have upgraded to SDE 2.0.2080 without change. I have created a new reference Build 1703 VM without network support (so it can't update anything) - it runs calc.exe just fine, but machines deployed from this VM show the same problem. I'm starting to suspect that I'm doing something wrong but can't for the life of me work out what (and we have been using SDE since March 2012). Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

• 1 month later...

Nope.

The good news: my fresh (ie, non-upgrade) 2.0.2090 install coupled with a new install of VMWare Player and a fresh Win10 1703 VM has passed it's first deployment test. Now to add all the required apps and try again - if that works, I'll simply retire the old SDE PC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am having this problem with the new version of SmartDeploy. I've done a reinstall of SmartDeploy, made sure all the Windows updates and Windows Store updates have been done, restarted the reference computer a couple of times, restarted the WDS server, and still no go.

If I try to sign in using a new account, the apps pop up (greyed out). When I click on it, it looks like it is installing (with a white progress bar), but it never starts nor finishes.

Any help would be appreciated...

Are you using the CopyProfile switch with Sysprep? 

You don't need to troubleshoot SmartDeploy in this case; it's a bug related to the AppX applications in Windows 10 1709 and Sysprep. There are numerous sysprep users reporting issues like that, with a range of possible solutions they've found. We're currently testing a solution. Please try creating a new VM, installing Windows 10, and do not make any changes to the Windows Store apps (as far as deleting/installing) and then trying again. 

Yes, I downloaded straight from the portal, and tested it out to make sure it's working before I shut down. I will re-create my image then.

Regarding the MS apps (Photos, Store), what do you think about uninstalling them first, and reinstalling once the computer has been imaged? 

As I said;we're still testing the behavior of the AppX applications to be able to have repeat behavior. It's been a big pain point in sysprepping Windows 10. Certainly don't uninstall the Windows Store app. I'm not sure if there's a way to side-load that app. I have seen people who's run into errors where sysprep breaks in cases where they removed apps for one user, but not another. 

There are some TechNet discussions with some commands for using PowerShell to get a list of the AppX applications, and then uninstalling them for all local user accounts, however if you have only 2-3 local users, you can remove the apps manually. In any case; it's just going to require some testing.

Please try returning to your master image, and booting into Audit mode  and allowing 15-20 minutes for the Store apps to update. You may even try removing the original problem apps you mentioned above. Then re-capture and try the deployment again. 

We're still testing this behavior. Hopefully Microsoft fixes this sooner than later. 

On 16/11/2017 at 3:12 PM, jgrimm said:

We're also getting the issue after updating our gold image to 1709. Calculator/Sticky Notes App are missing from new user profiles.

Yeah, we've just come across this too. Just came to light after deploying to only a few machines for end user testing. All Win 10 Pro images are 1709, and I've seen lots of TechNet threads going around about it and looking to try out a few solutions. Bit of a headache!