DeployCentral

Cant deploy to a Dell XPS 13

daizer

Just had a new batch of Dell XPS 13's model 9350's come in.

I requestd a Win 7 (x64) package to be built as the only package option was Win 10 as our estate is still Win 7.

This was created last night by smartdploy, I've created a new Win 7 Ent 64Bit image, built a USB stick but cant deploy.

If I choose legacy mode in the bios I get a blue screen with the following message.

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired.

There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device.

Error code: 0xc0000017

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device) contact your system administrator or PC manufacture.

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for startup Settings

Pressing either options just goes back to same screen.

If I choose UEFI in Bios I get the Smartdeploy splash screen but as soon as I click any option the following error is displayed.

sllauncher.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 0x5178161d referenced memory at 0x4da539ac.

The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Darren

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

***Update 11/23/2016***

Hello all,

We've identified the cause of this issue on the Precision 5510 and certain other new Dell models. It appears to be an issue with a specific version of bootmgr (present in SmartDeploy v2.0.2020 and earlier). Now that we've identified this issue, we'll be fixing this in our next service release of SmartDeploy.

In the meantime, if anyone runs into this issue:
1. Check for SmartDeploy updates, as it's possible we've released a new version since this thread was updated. Download and install the latest version, then recreate your SmartDeploy media and retry deployment.
https://www.smartdeploy.com/download/smartdeploy

2. If you're on the latest version and the issue persists, please email us at support (at) smartdeploy.com and reference this thread.

SmartDeploy Support

• 3 months later...

I am also having this exact same issue with Dell latitude 7370. I've just upgraded to latest version with no change.

One thing I noticed, the Dell has 4 partitions, and when i tell smart d to recreate drives (which should delete all partitions), the 4 partitions are recreated after imaging. I've used a Windows boot USB to see this. So possible work around is to boot the laptop with my windows USB boot disk, delete all partitions, then select 'wipe and load drives' when imaging with my smart d usb. I'll try this when back in the office.

Smart deploy admins - any news on a patch for this ,it's going to affect my up coming deployment big time

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this problem as well; I contacted SmartDeploy Support and was provided more recent versions of the bootmgr and bootmgr.efi files.

I suggest contacting SD Support as they may have newer versions of the files.

Also, with I've received exception errors during image application that has been resolved by inserting a USB Ethernet adapter - it does not need to be connected to the network. 

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

This just came up on an unrelated support thread, and I just wanted to let everyone know that as of several months ago, we've added several bugfixes and performance improvements to SmartDeploy to address this issue, so if you're experiencing it, go ahead and update to the latest version of SmartDeploy, recreate your media, and retry deployment, and let us know if the issue persists - support (at) smartdeploy.com.

Regards,
Glenn

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL

SpiceworksTwitterfacebookyoutube