DeployCentral

Getting computers back to "Out of Box" for resale.

Every couple years we upgrade laptops etc. How can I use Smart Deploy to get these laptops to the state that they are in when you get them "brand new". In the course of Deploying an image, the way I've been doing it, the deployment wizard asks all the initial start up questions, i.e. user name, computer name.... of which I would want the new owner to be able to answer....

Any help would be appreciated...

Hi Darrin,

If you're interested in restoring the laptops to their original OS version, license, etc., you will need to acquire recovery media from the OEM manufacturer of that device. If there was any recovery partition on the device previously, it would not have been preserved through a deployment.

If you're okay with keeping the existing OS version/license on the device for resale, you can open an administrator command prompt, and execute the following commands:

cd C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep
Sysprep /oobe /shutdown

This will run Sysprep, activate the Out-of-Box-Experience (OOBE), and shut down the system. The next time it is powered on, the user will be prompted to create a new user account, set computer name, etc. - all of the standard Windows setup settings for first time use.

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL