DeployCentral

A new guard page for the stack cannot be created

Good day,

I have recently started using SmartDeploy (since our version of Ghost does not support windows 8.1). I have the 15 day trial installed and is working great so far. I am trying to deploy a windows 8.1 image to a testing machine but when the deployment gets to transferring the files I get an error:

"A new guard page for the stack cannot be created."

and nothing happens from there. The deployment window closes and I am let at the initial boot up screen. If I try to re-run the deployment process it tells me that there is already a deployment in progress (but it's not on the screen or minimized). Is there something I am missing?

My master image file (.wim) is approximately 150GB and both the server and client are connected to the same gigabit switch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out. A 150GB WIM is larger than we typically see for an image that was created in a virtual environment as a reference computer. May I ask what made it so large? Apps, file storage, etc.?

Did you capture the WIM using the SmartDeploy Capture Wizard, or through some other method?

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support

Glenn,

The image is so large due to the applications. We are a technology school focusing on video game design and graphic design. Unless there's a better way to deploy the apps, the image has to be this size.

I captured it using the capture wizard. I have created a windows 8.1 deployment with some standard apps that worked without issues so I'm not sure what's causing the issue with the larger one.

Thanks,

John

So after re-creating the boot media (I used a CD originally) using a USB stick. The only thing I changed was the boot media platform. I went from 64 bit to 32 bit and it's working. Once things calm down a bit here, I may re-try with a CD. I'm wondering if the issue was related to the 64-bit version or not.

The time frame to push down my 150 GB image is just over an hour to a single machine.

Thanks again,

John

Hi John,

Good to know - makes sense.

It's indeed possible that one of your applications is causing the issue - some applications are friendlier to enterprise deployment than others as a part of the captured image. Typically, for complex app environments such as yours, we recommend that you start with a barebones Windows 8.1 system (with all updates installed), then add your apps 1-2 at a time, and try a test capture and deployment. If there is a failure at this stage, you should at least have a better idea of which app might be causing it. For such apps, it might be best to leave them out of the image, but include the installation files (generally in a folder in the root of C:\), then execute unattended installation commands as post-imaging Tasks (via the Deploy Wizard advanced options). Additionally, once you've found a deployment method that reliably completes, you can automate all of these steps via the use of Answer Files (see Appendices 3-4 in the SmartDeploy User's Guide).

Before you rebuild your image, however, I do have two other diagnostic questions:

1. Which version of SmartDeploy are you running currently?
To identify your SmartDeploy version, open Platform Manager and click Help | About Platform Manager. Note that if you've updated SmartDeploy, you must regenerate your boot or deployment media to take advantage of any new features or improvements.

2. Having you configured any sort of automatic computer naming convention as a part of your deployment? If so, what is this convention?

This setting would be in the Deploy Wizard advanced options - the default option is to generate a random computer name, but I'm wondering if you've configured any other option instead.

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support

• 1 month later...

I'm getting this exact same error after upgrading to the latest version of SD, updating PPK's and creating new boot media. I've got about a 130GB WIM file as it contains all of Autocad 2016. Imaged worked fine before the upgrade....I have sent my imaging log off to SD support with the hopes of getting a answer shortly....we are only weeks away from school starting and i wasn't expecting the imaging process to break like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar issue on a particular laptop model. However, when I used the OLD SD USB boot media it worked. I am also wondering if its the 64bit version which is causing the problem. any thoughts? Note: The new SD boot media works on the other laptop models we are using..