DeployCentral

Upgrading to v3 with WDS

WM-Martin

Hello,

Are I believe I have followed the steps to upgrade from v2 to v3,  but I have yet to uninstall v2. I was kind of hoping to see images being done via v3, but it looks like they are still pulling from v2. Or at least the version information while imaging seems to indicate its still using v2.

We are using WDS to enable PXE to pull the image, is there anything that needs to be done to WDS to make sure its pulling the right SmartPE or will it just automagically do that after I uninstall v2?

I hope my question makes sense.

Hi Martin,

Yep, makes perfect sense. Your WDS boot media contains a WindowsPE boot image and a SmartDeploy software layer that operates independently of whatever console version is installed. It is delivered to PXE boot clients by the WDS server, and the console has no involvement with its deployments (other than, perhaps, to register their appearance in Computer Management after the deployment is complete, if your answer file included the checkbox to install the SmartDeploy Client).

Any endpoints that you reimage using your existing WDS boot media will still be reimaged using SmartDeploy V2, and will still install the V2 Client (and only be able to report into the V2 console).

To fix the issue, you'll want to re-run Media Wizard on the V3 console to recreate your answer file and WDS boot media, then replace the boot image on your WDS server. Any endpoints that you reimage from that point forward (again, assuming you check the box for client installation) will report into the V3 console only.

If you have any questions or issues, feel free to reach out to support@smartdeploy.com.

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support

Not a bad idea! Recreating media is not something we specifically call out in that article, but you're correct to note that it affects the console even if the console is not performing that specific deployment. We'll take a look at that and see if we can add some clarity.

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support