DeployCentral

A bunch of new unusable icons on Start after W10 Creators update

Palle Jarl

After installing Windows 10 Creators update about 10 new icons show up at Start after deployment.
This does not occur in virtual golden image machine, only at the newly deployed comuters.

When clicking them no apps are opened, and one can just right click and delete them one by one, but that's a pain in the *ss.

Pls see image attached.

apps after deployment.jpg

Hi Palle,

Most likely this is due to you not using the latest version of SmartDeploy. Ensure you're using SmartDeploy 2.0.2050, which supports the Windows 10 Creator's update. Recapture/deploy with the latest version and let us know your results.

Thanks,

SmartDeploy Support

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI

In 1703 things may have changed looks like settings my be in the reg...trying to find out more

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2150422

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2cbfcabe-7a02-4874-ad13-84a1ead67a60/layoutmodificationxml-not-applying-in-v1703?forum=win10itprosetup

There is indeed a cached version of the Start menu in the registry as of v1703. Removing the cache and the TileDataLayer folder will allow Windows to apply your Start menu modification if you're using manual user customizations in audit mode.

The key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore. For the default user in a clean WIM file from Microsoft, there are no subkeys here, so feel free to delete the "Store" key you see under CloudStore. 

For me, since my image was already created, I had to mount the WIM file, load ntuser.dat from the Administrator user, remove this key, unload the hive (never forget to unload hives!), then commit the changes to the WIM. During deployment, the CopyProfile flag will copy the Administrator user to the Default user and all will be well! ?

• 2 months later...

I am having this exact same issue.  Golden Image looks fine but after SD - all those broken shortcuts show up.    I am running the latest version of SD as of 9/7/2017 - 2.0.2080.

Windows10 may force me to give up on SD entirely.   This product worked great in Win7 but man nothing but issues trying to get it straightened out.

On 5/31/2017 at 2:22 PM, Csmith1919 said:

I am having this same issue. Not quite to the extent as Palle, but I do have 2. Also Windows Defender seems not to be able to load. However it will load in the VM. Defender is the only program that seems to show after I remove the downloaded Bloat.

I found a semi solution to this. If I add the machine off the domain, then add it after using Smart Deploy the domain accounts don't have the issue. The initial local account still always has the issue.