DeployCentral

Dell Optiplex 3040 Platform Pack incorrect drivers

DJ_Mo

For the past few years, we have come to rely on the available Platform Packs available for download for the various Dell models we use.  Generally it always at least gets us going in Windows, and we perform another scan on support.dell.com for any new updates.

However recently the Dell Optiplex 3040 Windows 10 64 bit Platform Pack, caused a hiccup.  When it booted to Windows: ethernet, video and audio drivers were not installed and had an exclamation point in device manager.  As the system wouldn't go online because of ethernet driver issues.  We downloaded all necessary drivers from chipset to audio on a USB stick. Chipset drivers installed fine.  But the rest would not install.  Giving "fatal error" messages etc.   Never had such drivers issues, and the Dell rep mentioned likely the incorrect drivers were installed from the SmartDeploy image.

So the Dell support rep suggested to reload the unit manually, which we did and even without any internet connection...Windows itself picked all the correct drivers for everything to function. 

So my questions are:

• How do we report problematic drivers packs to SmartDeploy?
  • Am I naive to trust the pre-made platforms packs or should I be double checking the inf files in them?  If so how?

-

Hi DJ_Mo,

Thanks for reaching out. We build our Platform Packs using the drivers available from the manufacturer for that device, so I can assure you, you can trust that the drivers are correct (or at least correctly intended) for the target device. That's not to say they never have problems, however. Manufacturers sometimes release faulty drivers or firmware updates, and of course drivers (and devices) get updated from time to time, and even valid device driver installations can fail for various reasons. When these issues occur, we generally have you pull some logs from the device so that we can troubleshoot further.

From your description of the symptoms, it actually sounds like the Platform Pack was not used. By default, SmartDeploy will look in the same folder where your image is stored for a pack that matches the make/model of the target device and the OS you're trying to deploy. You may want to download the latest version of the pack and retry deployment.

If the issue persists, can you retrieve some logs from the device, and we can see what may be happening?

C:\Windows\Debug\Deploy.log
C:\Platform\Dism.txt
C:\Windows\Inf\Setupapi.dev.log

Please also indicate whether you've successfully deployed this image to any other devices.

You can send these items to us at support (at) smartdeploy.com

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL

SpiceworksTwitterfacebookyoutube

Hi all,

This pack has actually been updated today in response to another customer's request, so I would advise anyone reading this to download the latest version and retry deployment. If the issue persists, please send the logs above (and feel free to reach out if you're unable to retrieve them - we can provide further instructions for how to retrieve them via WinPE command prompt).

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL

SpiceworksTwitterfacebookyoutube