DeployCentral

Image Size

atolleter

Hello,

I run 2 VMs out of one laptop, one 32 bits and one 64 bits, the VMDK files are about 42 gigs for each. When I capture the images however, the 32 Bits image size is 20 gigs while the 64 Bits one is 14 gigs. My VMs all have same software and settings and are about the same size, any way to justify for the 6 gigs difference after capturing the images?

Thank you,

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,

The Windows Imaging (WIM) file format uses a technology known as "single-instance storage", which means that only a single copy of any binary-identical files in the image is stored. This allows for space-savings for the captured WIM as compared to the disk that it was captured from.

With this in mind, there's no way to know for sure why there's such a difference between the two environments, but it's likely that there is greater file variation on the 32-bit image than the 64-bit one. It's also possible that there are more concrete differences between the two - more installed updates, software, etc.

If you have any followup questions, feel free to reach out to us at support (at) smartdeploy.com, and be sure to reference this thread.

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL