DeployCentral

USB Creation Ends Up Imaging Smart Deploy PC

More of a comment than a question. Last night I left the office after kicking off creation of a new USB deployment stick, Well come in this morning and it had imaged the very computer it was created on, even though the platform pack for this particular computer wasn't on the stick. So I lost my SD installation. More of a learning experience than anything else. Since I am storing all my images on another drive, I was spared the thought of hanging myself this morning.

I think from now on our USB boot media will not be configured for automatic deployment :|

Oh wow, sorry to hear that. What probably happened was your boot media was created successfully, then the host computer restarted for whatever reason (Perhaps Windows Updates?) and it booted to the unattended USB stick which imaged the host computer. It used the Windows in box drivers to image.

SmartDeploy Support

What probably happened was your boot media was created successfully, then the host computer restarted for whatever reason (Perhaps Windows Updates?) and it booted to the unattended USB stick which imaged the host computer. It used the Windows in box drivers to image.

Looks that it is a good idea to disable the USB boot in the BIOS of the SmartDeploy workstation to avoid this kind of accidents.

Thank God you had a backup of the images! :-)