DeployCentral

WDS - Generic Image Selection question

jwillis84

Hi,

We've been using your SmartDeploy "PE" environment Interview Wizard to create and export unattend.xml format files to capture subsequent Workflows so Technicians can reduce the time they have to spend at each station being image deployed.

Initially I believe I walked through everything and successfully deployed using WDS Multicasting

However, after I exported the captured Unattend.xml file and manually selected (or re-targeted) the configuration to point at new Image files stored in Z:\Images\reminst\[image name]

They no longer appear to be Multicasting

I read elsewhere in the Blogs here that Z:\Images\[multi-casting groupname]\reminst\[image name] was the correct format

First, is that information correct, is that the format that should be used to reference a Multi-casting image "by groupname"

Second, is that "sufficient" or are there other XML tags required to "hint" at the WDS Multicasting preferred process?

I assume if the multi-cast groupname is not available, such a workflow will not "fallback" to using a similar named image in just the Z:\Images\reminst path.. that looks so obvious I feel silly asking.. but the Multi-casting process is very lightly documented by Microsoft.

Thanks

Hi Jwillis,

You're correct, if the multi-cast groupname is not available, the workflow will not "fallback" to using a similar named image. You must use the Z:\Images\[multi-casting groupname]\reminst\[image name] format. If you haven't already, you can read more about the integration of SmartDeploy with WDS here: http://smartdeploy.com/docs/default-source/download/smartdeploy-with-windows-deployment-services

Thanks,

SmartDeploy Support