DeployCentral

Remote Access After Imaging

ASouders

I am trying to figure out how to access the computer I recently imaged remotely. We use Bomgar for our remote service and I have that in the startup folder, but that does not launch until someone logs in. I did change the built in Administrator to another name (required by our admin), but I also created a second admin so that I could log in once imaged because the Administrator account goes disabled with SysPrep. The problem is I am not always on site while they are in the process of imaging or even when they complete. I can not get to them once the imaging is done. I am wondering is there a way to have the PC auto log in? How can it be accessed remotely once imaged?

Hello,

I'll answer your last question first - Autologon can indeed be configured in your SmartDeploy answer file. You can combine this with an Answer File Task to run the command during First Logon as User.

I should note, login is only necessary if the remote client must run in a user context - if the Bomgar application can be installed for all users under the authority of the LOCALSYSTEM account (which can perform most software installations without issue), then you can run the installation command during First Boot as System instead. This will run behind the Windows login screen, and no logon will need to occur for the installation to happen.

You'll want to test this to make sure it meets your needs - we don't have any specific expertise with the Bomgar application, but such applications sometimes have configurable switches which determine whether they are available for remote connections prior to user login. You'll want to test this procedure on a machine that you have local access to, so that if you need to log on locally to determine the current status of the application and/or troubleshoot installation failure, you will be able to do so.

I should also note, we do not recommend renaming the local Administrator account (i.e. the built-in account with the name of Administrator). SmartDeploy's default behavior is to restore the state of the local Administrator account - disabled or enabled - as it existed on the reference VM (and this requires the account to have the specific name of Administrator). If you do not wish to use the local Administrator account, you can disable it on the reference VM and it will be disabled on the target device as well. Any additional local administrator account(s) you create will not be affected - they should not be touched by Sysprep or SmartDeploy. You could also use a free Microsoft solution like LAPS to manage local administrator passwords at the AD level if you wish.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Support.

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support