DeployCentral

Microsoft Language Pack (LanguagePack and LXP)

PaddyB

Hi Guys

who did already a Package for the new Windows 10 Way for LangaugePack and LXP as SmartDeploy Package?

i run after the the Depoy the Package with the following Script

#region Preparations

$currentExecutingPath = $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition.Replace($MyInvocation.MyCommand.Name, "")

#endregion

#=============================================================

#region Variables

$architecture = "x64" 

$SystemLocale = "en-US" 

#endregion

#region Main Function

Write-Host "Start install language packs..." -ForegroundColor Green

$installed_lp = New-Object System.Collections.ArrayList

foreach ($language in Get-ChildItem -Path "$currentExecutingPath\LXP") {

Write-Host "Installing $language" -ForegroundColor Green

$AppXFile = $currentExecutingPath + "\LXP\" + $language.Name + "\LanguageExperiencePack." + $language.Name + ".Neutral.appx"

$LicFile = $currentExecutingPath + "\LXP\" + $language.Name + "\License.xml"

$CabFile = $currentExecutingPath + "\LanguagePacks\Microsoft-Windows-Client-Language-Pack_" + $architecture + "_" + $language.Name + ".cab"

Write-Host "Installing $CabFile"

Start-Process -FilePath "dism.exe" -WorkingDirectory "C:\Windows\System32" -ArgumentList "/online /Add-Package /PackagePath=$CabFile /NoRestart" -Wait

Write-Host "Installing $AppXFile"

Start-Process -FilePath "dism.exe" -WorkingDirectory "C:\Windows\System32" -ArgumentList "/online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath=$AppXFile /LicensePath=$LicFile /NoRestart" -Wait

Write-Host "Add to prefered languages"

$prefered_list = Get-WinUserLanguageList

$prefered_list.Add($language.Name)

Set-WinUserLanguageList($prefered_list) -Force

$installed_lp.Add($language.Name)

}

Write-Host "Setting the system locale: $SystemLocale" -ForegroundColor Green

Set-WinSystemLocale -SystemLocale $SystemLocale

#endregion

You can create an Application Pack to run a PowerShell script. Thus you would create a Application Pack with your script and give it arguments to run.

(well, I cannot upload a screenshot of my application pack or I would)

The command output would look like this:

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "[ApplicationsFolder]\PowerShell - EnableSystemRestore\Files\(YourPowerShellScripthere)" Without parenthesis.

i know Aaron, just was wondering if somebody else made (like i wrote) made a application package

maybe with some better solution than my script...

to tell the truth, if I not have to generate a SmartDeploy Package i not do it - too much trail and error till it works  (Slow, missing Status, sometimes no LogFiles and so on)

@PaddyBI created the above application pack with a powershell script to enable System Restore. And this pack gets pushed out to all machines that are imaged with our deployment media. If you go thru the Wizard of creating an application pack. It will guide you thru selecting your PS1 file, then it will automatically fill in the command line. I would recommend playing around with creating application packs. I have also created a lot of custom ones for 1 off apps that support silent installs. I would recommend having either a spare machine or even a VM with SD Client on it to push packages out to. Thats the only true way of knowing if they work. Then check Event Viewer for any SmartDeploy logs.

4 minutes ago, Aaron@Shared said:

@PaddyBI created the above application pack with a powershell script to enable System Restore. And this pack gets pushed out to all machines that are imaged with our deployment media. If you go thru the Wizard of creating an application pack. It will guide you thru selecting your PS1 file, then it will automatically fill in the command line. I would recommend playing around with creating application packs. I have also created a lot of custom ones for 1 off apps that support silent installs. I would recommend having either a spare machine or even a VM with SD Client on it to push packages out to. Thats the only true way of knowing if they work. Then check Event Viewer for any SmartDeploy logs.

yes i also create some application packages and yes i also played around and yes i waste very much time with this Software. i working with Unattended Setups and so on since NT 4.0 (so a few years already) but never had a software (for this price) what i felt more than a beta-tester.

anyway, thanks for you input. lets have if somebody else has a working package what i can use, if not - i move it over to GPO what is working 100%