DeployCentral

SmartDeploy on a VM

Hey Guys,

Another question for everyone. We ended up putting our SmartDeploy in a VM. Is it possible to create the offline media and have it write to a usb?

I tried making it so the VM see the usb thats plugged into my computer, but when trying to create the media it refuses to see the drive.

Is there a way around this?

Hi DeJeon, 

You've hit upon the fundamental issue here, which is that USB passthrough from a host to a VM is unreliable. Many of them rely on virtual machine additions that simply don't offer the same level of functionality that would be present on a physical host.

Because SmartDeploy is licensed per deployed endpoint, there is no licensing restriction that would prevent you from installing the SmartDeploy console on multiple computers. Rather than struggle with trying to make passthrough work reliably, our recommendation is to simply install SmartDeploy on a secondary physical workstation (such as any standard business laptop or desktop) for the purpose of creating USB media. You can temporarily copy down any images or Platform Packs that you plan to use, and then create the media without issue. 

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or issues - support@smartdeploy.com. 

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support

Thats what I figured...

I do already have SmartDeploy installed on a local machine which is how i create the media now, so thats not to bad.

But I do have a question on that matter. Is there a way to have the 2nd computer see my computers here that are enrolled into SmartDeploy?

Hi DeJeon, 

No, by design, computers with the SmartDeploy client installed can only be managed by a single specific console, identified by the hostname or IP that you specified when you created the installer package. 

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support

• 1 month later...