DeployCentral

Windows 10 - 1803

Hi Horacio,

At this time, WIndows 10 Version 1803 is not officially supported, but we're actively testing it right now - stay tuned. It's not always necessary for us to update the product to support a new Windows 10 version (although it was for the last version, 1709).

In the meantime, you're welcome to go ahead and try deployment - we would just recommend starting with a fresh VM built with Windows 10 1803 media, and only testing on a non-production device, as we can't guarantee success just yet.

Feel free to reach out to support (at) smartdeploy.com if you have any questions or issues.

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support

When capturing an image I receive the following error from Capture Wizard:

"The virtual machine you are attempting to capture appears to contain a compacted operating system."

"Please start the virtual machine and run "Compact.exe /CompactOS:Never" from an administrative command prompt."

Errors persists after running the command.

Anyone's seeing this?

I'm having an issue where the machine name isn't being kept when attempting to build a new answer file. I can capture the image just fine, but the name that I give the image doesn't stay, and when I attempt to select the wim file when creating a new answer file, the name isn't there anymore and I can't proceed because it says I need to specify a name for the image file.

I have attempted both kinds of captures and I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I do. Is anyone else having this same problem?

5 hours ago, Jeff Harris said:

You do not want to do in-place upgrades on your VMs in between major versions of Windows 10. If you wish to deploy v1803, you will want to create a new VM and use the v1803 ISO to install that version of Windows directly. 

So in other words, if I have a VM that has 15+ individually installed programs on it and I want to deploy a new version of Windows 10, I will have to just build the VM brand new and re-install all of those programs?

4 minutes ago, jaykeblakk said:

So in other words, if I have a VM that has 15+ individually installed programs on it and I want to deploy a new version of Windows 10, I will have to just build the VM brand new and re-install all of those programs?

Yes, this is our recommendation, as well as Microsoft. However we are working on a version of SmartDeploy that will hopefully address some of the issues that arise from sysprepping Windows that was upgraded from 1709 to 1803. 

9 minutes ago, jaykeblakk said:

Unfortunately...I have tried several times to upgrade a VM to a new version and it does not work out well. New VM for each version and we have 30+ apps to install.

• 1 month later...