DeployCentral

United Kingdom locale

Is there a way to set English (United Kingdom) as the Region Language / Locale ? I tried changing (United States) in the smartdeploy.xml (as UK is not an option when running through the wizard) however that doesn't seem to work.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Hello Daniel,

Currently SmartDeploy only has support for the specific language packs that are included with Windows 7, XP etc... That list should be what is defined at this site: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744369(WS.10).aspx. The UK localization settings are not included, but they can be set when deploying your image. If you are deploying Windows 7 you can copy the code from below add it to a vbs file and then set it to run as a post image task from the advanced options of the Deploy Wizard. If you are deploying a different operating system or run into any problems please shoot support an email at support@smartdeploy.com and we can answer your questions.

UpdateXML "T:\windows\system32\sysprep\unattend.xml"
UpdateXML "T:\windows\panther\unattend.xml"

Sub UpdateXML(StrFileName)

Set xmlDoc = CreateObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.6.0")

xmlDoc.Async = "False"
        xmlDoc.Load(strFileName)

xmldoc.setProperty "SelectionNamespaces", "xmlns:bk='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend'"
        set objnode = xmlDoc.selectsingleNode("//bk:InputLocale")

objnode.text = "en-GB"

xmldoc.setProperty "SelectionNamespaces", "xmlns:bk='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend'"
	set objnode = xmlDoc.selectsingleNode("//bk:SystemLocale")

objnode.text = "en-GB"

set objnode = xmlDoc.selectsingleNode("//bk:UILanguage")

objnode.text = "en-GB"

set objnode = xmlDoc.selectsingleNode("//bk:UserLocale")

objnode.text = "en-GB"

xmlDoc.Save(strfilename)

End Sub

Thanks,

Erik

Hello Daniel,

Currently SmartDeploy only has support for the specific language packs that are included with Windows 7, XP etc... That list should be what is defined at this site: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744369(WS.10).aspx. The UK localization settings are not included, but they can be set when deploying your image. If you are deploying Windows 7 you can copy the code from below add it to a vbs file and then set it to run as a post image task from the advanced options of the Deploy Wizard. If you are deploying a different operating system or run into any problems please shoot support an email at support@smartdeploy.com and we can answer your questions.

xmlDoc.Async = "False"
        xmlDoc.Load(strFileName)

objnode.text = "en-GB"

objnode.text = "en-GB"

objnode.text = "en-GB"

objnode.text = "en-GB"

xmlDoc.Save(strfilename)

End Sub

Thanks,

Erik

That's great, I'll give it a try tomorrow as I move onto my next SmartDeploy rollout!

Just one question ; should I be changing T: at all ?

Good question, T:\ is actually set by SmartDeploy after deploying the image so it will not need to be changed. We assign S:\ to the 100 MB Windows 7 Boot partition (System Reserved) and T:\ to the actual install of 7.

Hello Daniel,

xmlDoc.Async = "False"
        xmlDoc.Load(strFileName)

objnode.text = "en-GB"

objnode.text = "en-GB"

objnode.text = "en-GB"

objnode.text = "en-GB"

xmlDoc.Save(strfilename)

End Sub

Thanks,

Erik

Do I choose "After image is applied" ? Also, do I need to prefix it with cscript.exe ?

Just another question based on:

Should I be using %SmartDeploy_Media% rather than [AnswerFolder]\uk-localise.vbs ?

Thanks!

For the phase of the task you will want to specify after image is applied. You can prefix with cscript.exe or wscript.exe, or just put the path to the script, all should work.

When booting %SmartDeploy_Media% is set as an environment variable that points to the boot device, which you can use to specify the path to your script. The [AnswerFolder] variable is essentially the same thing but will not work when calling a task.

Thanks,

Erik

For the phase of the task you will want to specify after image is applied. You can prefix with cscript.exe or wscript.exe, or just put the path to the script, all should work.

When booting %SmartDeploy_Media% is set as an environment variable that points to the boot device, which you can use to specify the path to your script. The [AnswerFolder] variable is essentially the same thing but will not work when calling a task.

Thanks,

Erik

Ok, so essentially I could just put

%SmartDeploy_Media%\uk-localise.vbs and it should work?

• 1 month later...

I've got another 20 machines to deploy tomorrow, so will test and report back!

Ok, it didn't seem to work.

I tried doing it using cmd /n as well (as per ).

The option I choose for it was "After image is applied" rather than before applied, and whatever the other 2 or so options were.

If after the install I try run it manually, it gives an error on Line 14, Char 25.

"Object required: objnode, Code: 800A01A8, Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error".

It looks like the task is starting properly however the script is running into an error. The script is failing to load the node for the InputLocale. Are you deploying Windows 7 and does the script look exactly like it is in the previous post (sometimes copying can cause odd formatting)? If both of these things are OK please try running the Deploy Wizard in a no reboot debug mode. This can be done by opening a command prompt (Shift + F10 from the main screen) then typing Deploy.exe /noreboot. Now you can go through the deployment as normal, after complete try running the script directly from the command prompt and see if you receive the error.