DeployCentral

Windows 7 to Windows 10 - User Data Migration

Chin Jam

Hi,

We would like to upgrade Windows 7 computers to Windows 10 while preserving the user's data.  What would be the best approach to achieve this?

I am assuming I would select the Deploy an Image option > install the required apps > Enable 'User Data Migration' - User Settings, app Settings, Documents.  

I am not sure if these User Data Migration settings are compatible between Windows 7 and Windows 10. 

Any insight would be appreciated.

thanks,

CJ

Keep in mind that SmartDeploy won't upgrade Windows 7 to 10. It will wipe the disk and apply your image as configured in your Reference VM. 

You can migrate the user data in 1 of 2 ways; configure it in the Answer File as you mentioned, or install the SmartDeploy client on the Windows 7 client, and use the Computer Management workspace to capture the user state before deploying your image, and then restoring it the same way. 

SmartDeploy uses Microsoft's User State Migration Tool for this process. 

Thanks Jeff.  I tested the process and it worked smoothly.  

The only thing I noticed is that the mapped network printers were not migrated to the Windows 10 image.  Do you know if this is expected behavior or should network printers be migrated as part of the User Data Migration?