DeployCentral

WDS Support

Heya -

Does SDE have any plans for WDS support?

What about the ability to split .wim across multiple CD's/DVD's and apply from them? This would be HUGE since I can't find anyone else that supports this!

I'm not sure about WDS support. I think I remember seeing a video on their site about how to connect WDS. Hopefully someone from the SmartDploy support can chime in on that. I can't find the link.

I checked the latest release notes and it looks like the latest update for enterprise might support splitting a .wim. I'm assuming that is what they mean by "spanned media".

Here are the release notes. http://www.smartdeploy.com/Products/Downloads.aspx

I'm going to try it out today. I'll post back and let you know how it goes. If I could span that stuff on CD's it would be freaking awesome.

I tried splitting a .wim on to multiple cds yesterday. It worked. I would say flawlessly with one exception. Don't forget to number your cd's while you are burning them :D Other than that, it worked well.

I still have not found a link to the WDS demonstration video.

Heya -

I'm Mike, the developer that wrote the spanned media support. Thanks so much for the kind words. :D

Writing spanned media support was one of my favorite features so far, due to the algorithmic constraints on the process, and the large number of conditions that the algorithm supports. SmartWIM relies on wimgapi for splitting sizes, and cannot generate a split part less than the size of the largest file. So, we use this size to determine our minimum split size, work backwards from the maximum split size allowed on the first disk until the number of discs generated matches what we have projected. This is simplifying the process a bit, but more or less how it works...

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...