DeployCentral

Post image configuration

Chatham

Hey SmartDeploy world!

Really excited to be here. I am 5 days in my trial version and managed to capture and deploy custom image of Windows 7. However, I want to make it as automated as possible so I have a few questions.

1. Once the image has been deployed and added to the domain, I want to install applications in silent mode. The apps are located on a network location and therefore I need to map a network drive.The way I have been doing this so far is:

• use tasks at level FIRSTLOGON to map the drive using NET USE command
  • run msiexec or exe files in silent mode and install stuff - again in FIRSTLOGON
  • run last command shutdown /r /t 90 to reboot the PC after all has been done and make the PC ready for the user to log on

It all works fine. The only problem is - I want it automated. I would like Windows to log on automatically as Administrator so tasks at FIRSTLOGON could kick off. This would need to happen only once, so tasks could start and then after the last reboot, it would stay at ctrl+alt+del for the user to log on.

I have received a VBS script to do that and add autologon option. I also have been told to run it as POSTIMAGE level. How do I do that? Where do i place the autoadmin.vbs file and how to I then find that file in the tasks?

2. I use ImageX from windows AIK to modify the SmartDeploy.xml file and then commit changes upon unmounting. Any precautions here to make? I made a bootable media for WDS (image.wim) cause I boot it via PXE boot and want to know if imagex is safe to modify these images

3. What would you say are the best practices for running tasks? Like for installing apps, for modifying registry, for removing files? When I used MDT I created a bunch of powershell scripts that did most of my post configuration tasks and would like to retain that in SmartDeploy. Where should I run them to make it safe and possible?

Appreciate your help!

Jakub