DeployCentral

Win7 will not Auto-join to domain - what I am missing?

I'm planning a win 7 rollout using WDS and SmartDeploy Enterprise. I've been using SD Enterprise for my XP systems however we were using USB deployment instead of WDS. Under the old XP USB deployment, everything worked perfectly other than being slow but under WIN 7 and WDS, everything looks to work and I receive no errors but I'm left at the logon screen still in a workgroup state and not domain joined as expected. Other things like first logon tasks run as expected. Auto-Naming convention is adhered to. And platform packs look to apply as expected.

I've compared my old XP unattended .XML to the new Win7 unattended .XML and nothing jumps out - same OU syntax, same credentials and it states membership domain not workgroup. I've confirmed the credentials saved in the XML still worked by using netdom to join into the same OU after the fact and I've also rebuilt the XML in case I mistyped the password...

Is there a debug log that I can turn to to better understand why its not joining as expected? Or am I overlooking the obvious? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hello,

The best place to look when having domain join problems is the Netsetup.log located in c:\windows\debug. This will tell you why the domain joined failed. If you want you can send it over to Support (It has company info in it so you probably wont want to post it on the forum) and we can have a look at it as well.

Thanks,

Erik

Thanks Erik - I was hoping it'd be obvious once I saw the log but I'm still scratching my head on this one...guessing this is a name resolution issue - just sent the log via email for you to see. Thanks again!

Hello,

The best place to look when having domain join problems is the Netsetup.log located in c:\windows\debug. This will tell you why the domain joined failed. If you want you can send it over to Support (It has company info in it so you probably wont want to post it on the forum) and we can have a look at it as well.

Thanks,

Erik