DeployCentral

Re-Imaging a Bitlocker enabled Dell laptop

Nagaraj

Hello,

We are using Smartdeploy 2.0.3020 for PXE boot and using Dell laptops. We are in the process of implementing BitLocker in our environment and currently testing is in progress. One of the things that I want to make sure is, reimaging a Bitlocker enabled laptop. We dont use the "wipe & load option" I have tried reimaging couple of laptops with Bitlocker Encryption ON and it seems to be imaged fine without any issues. I am trying to get some recommendations on what would be best practice to do while reimaging a Bitlocker enabled laptop. For ex: Is it recommended to turn off the encryption before we attempt to reimage the laptop, etc. 

Thanks,

Nagaraj

Hi Nagaraj,

If you are not planning to do any user data migration, or attempt to use the computer name from the existing Windows installation, and will be allowing SmartDeploy to wipe the hard drive, then you do not need to worry about BitLocker being enabled on the target device. If you want to do any of the things I just mentioned, you'll want to decrypt the drive before starting with SmartDeploy.